Sunday, October 21, 2012

Kalmbach's Bead Soup Party

In honor of Lori Anderson's new book Bead Soup, Kalmbach decided to have a party of their own. This is sort of similar to the theme behind Lori's book (bead exchanges), but a little different. I was paired with South Pass Beads in Southern Illinois.  Designers signed up hoping to get a chance to win prizes and were paired with bead stores from around the country and asked to create a necklace. No one knew what they were going to receive until it arrived on their doorstep. I received the mix above, and believe it or not all photographs pictured here were taken on my front doorstep! If you would like to purchase the mix I received, just hop on over to LouAnn's shop on Etsy!


Instead of going all out on this design, I stepped back and took a look at the components that I received, what I already had in my stash and what I had picked up at the Naperville Bead Show this past September from Bella Venetian Beads.

I kept these designs fairly simple. I drew color inspiration from the dragonfly focal Lou Ann sent along with the mix.

I pulled color from the painted dots and brought it into the adult necklace using the red to create the pop with the dyed red turquoise stones.  I remembered purchasing years ago a sterling silver dragonfly clasp.  It was the AhHa moment that brought both together..
"A Mother & Child Necklace Set"


If you can see in the picture I also used a few faceted gemmie beads from mom’s necklace and incorporated them into the child’s necklace.. What child doesn’t want to feel special with a few gemmies! Seriously it won’t cost you too much to give up a few gemmies,  after all they are only beads!





To Learn to Teach to Share!!
peace, vonna

10 comments:

  1. What beautiful blues! I love the splash of red on the second necklace--so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rachel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! A mother and child set is magical, and so perfect for the bead soup from Southpass Beads! Love the colorway and dragonflies :) Beautiful, Vonna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vonna - these turned out great - love the colors (that red sure contrasts beautifully with the blue, doesn't it?) and the way you turned them into a mama/daughter set. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome awesome awesome! Love the red with the blue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely delightful! Love the mother-daughter pairing... the colors rock! I love both the dragonfly focal and clasp - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mother/child concept! What a great idea! I also love that they aren't the same. I also love the red dyed turquoise. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jennifer! It was fun creating this one!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...